Saturday, March 12, 2011

THE 47 YEAR OLD AND A BIKE


I'm going to get this shirt!


I picked up the bike I bought this morning. It's a Trek 7000 17.5", and it weighs less than one of my legs. I strapped on my helmet, put my water bottle in the holder, and took off around the neighborhood. I haven't ridden a bike in about 20 years. I don't need to tell you where and how much I felt my first bike ride in two decades. I loved it, and that is the important thing.

As a young man I loved riding my bike. As an older man I will love riding my bike. The love affair didn't end it was postponed. The difficulty for me is the frustration with being out of shape. The desire to ride for miles is within, but the stamina isn't in my body yet.

Things to remember for my next ride:


  • Get a water bottle with a flip cap.
  • Do not take my sinus medication just before riding. It became a competition between breathing and swallowing large quantities of mucus. Somehow I think breathing is probably important.
  • I can see the appeal of those padded bike shorts. But the horror/humor of seeing Buddha wearing those shorts riding a bike might cause some serious accidents for on lookers in cars.

I'm loving it! I'll keep you posted

No comments: